This weekend my friend Jannell and I planned out an entire night of DIY’ing our shoes till we passed out. First up: the leather Spectator Lo Pro, featuring a detachable sneaker chain. (Which just so happens to be my favorite DIY project thus far.)
What you need: Your favorite sneakers, 2 types of chains, at least 10 mini key chain rings, 2 necklace hooks, a bag of spikes or charms, and 2 round nosed pliers.
1. First step is to take one of your chains and connect it to a small key chain ring.
2. Once you’ve got the first chain in place, and you have chosen your desired chain length, take your round nose pliers and open the end of the chain so that it cuts the remaining chain off.
3. Take the 2nd type of chain and connect it to the same key chain ring as the 1st chain.
4. When you’ve got your chains in place, use the round nose pliers once again to fasten the chain openings tightly. Depending on how many chains you want, repeat steps 2-4. I only used 3 for my shoes, but there’s always room for more.
5. Once all your chains are connected to the one key chain, it’s time to start on the other end. Repeat steps 1-4, and make sure to go back to your shoes so that you’re not making a chain that’s either too small or too big.
6. At the ends of each key ring, attach the necklace hooks to both sides so that they can easily be attached to your shoelaces.
7. Alas! It’s time to set your chains with a few dangling spikes on one side. I left a little chain length on the side I would be putting my spikes on for an added ‘wow’ effect. When attaching your spikes, use one key chain ring per spike.
Ta-Da! Now you’ve got yourself an accessory which will make anyone jealous. PLUS the great thing about this particular project is that you can actually use the sneaker chain on whatever shoe you want. I’m obsessed. -brittany